Sunday, May 3, 2020

Free Inside Specially Marked Boxes Vol. 5 - Cap’n Crunch’s BloBots!


As I mentioned in my last post, I was inspired to return to my blog due in part to a recent purchase. That purchase has arrived and I’m breaking it into two posts. For the first, I’m looking at some more cheap plastic robots pulled from boxes of cereal in the 80’s. These don’t transform, but they do blow bubbles! Behold, Quaker’s BloBots!

I have a very strong memory of my childhood BloBot but for the longest time I had no idea what it was called or which cereal I pulled it from. When I had finally identified the toy, I couldn’t find any examples to buy online. I’ve been looking off and on for a while and when I stumbled upon a lot of four I had to buy them. Two were opened and two were still sealed in their original plastic baggies. I debated leaving them sealed but ultimately decided they were more fun open and assembled.

BloBots were available inside specially marked boxes of Quaker’s Cap’n Crunch cereal. The only image I’ve seen of the boxes refers to them as “BLOBOTS” (in all cap bubble letters). I’ve elected to capitalize both B’s as “Blobots” just looks odd (like gelatinous robots rather than bubble-blowing bots). BloBots had a simple gimmick: fill the lower half of the body with bubble solution, rotate the upper half of the body (with the open eyes and mouth) around and into the bubble solution, then rotate it back and blow bubbles! 

As a child, I owned a green Blobot. From what I can determine, they were also available in blue, red, orange, white and silver/gray. There are at least two different styles of face. One type has circular eyes and mouth while the other type has square eyes and mouth. As you can see in the photos, I now have one of each face style in orange and one of each in white. I think the orange bots would look awesome in a Halloween display, like jack-o-lantern mechs!

Front view of both orange BloBots. The circle-faced bot has arms that warp inward as the go down and almost make it impossible to rotate the upper half of the body.

Rear view of both.

Side view of the one on the right.

The one on the right is demonstrating the rotating action that dips the upper half of the body into the bubble solution (no bubble solution present or included).

The white BloBots.

The orange BloBots in their original packaging.

The BloBots with the two Kellogg’s Starbots I own and looked at here.

No comments:

Post a Comment